Most Thanked
trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

Q10 - People should follow diets

by WaltGrace1983 Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:29 pm

Argument
Lifetime of sacrifice spent eating an unappealing low-fat diet is too high a price to pay for the chance of extending life for 3 months
-->
Modifying our diet is not worthwhile

Thoughts
There are a few assumptions that are being made here: 1) that extending life by 3 months is not worthwhile; 2) that the diet is unappealing

(A) Opposite. This would actually destroy the argument because it is basically saying that lengthening one's life IS worthwhile.
(B) Correct. This is what I expected in my #2 assumption to look for.
(C) We don't necessarily need to assume this. Suppose it is not the only relevent factor, the argument still stands perfectly fine
(D) Similar to (A), this would actually be leaning towards the opposite of what we are looking for. This answer choice is saying, "but hey! The difference in taste between 30% and 37% fat isn't really a big deal!" Also, keep in mind that the word "tastiness" may not equate to "appealing." This could be a great trick answer if phrased a different way.
(E) This doesn't get to the crux of the argument and doesn't attack the gap. The argument is talking about a lifetime of sacrifice isn't worth it for extending life by 3 months and, therefore, the diet is not worthwhile. We don't care about what everyone else is doing! We just care about this gap!

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q10 - People should follow diets

by tommywallach Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:25 am

Hey Jennewein,

Yep! Perfect explanation here. The only thing I'd take issue with is trying to find a gap between "tastiness" and "appealing." Something tasty is, by definition, appealing.

Great work!

-t
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com

WaltGrace1983
Thanks Received: 207
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

by WaltGrace1983 Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:49 pm

After revisiting this problem, isn't this really only just attacking the premise? I feel a little cheated :lol:

michael.tal
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by michael.tal Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:22 pm

Isn't the correct answer choice worded wrongly? I would have wanted it to read: ..."to a person who WOULD follow it regularly" - implying that the person does not currently follow that diet. Doesn't the way it's actually worded imply that it would be unappealing to a person who already follows it? And thus be pretty unreasonable?