Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
Baherrington
Forum Guests

Addition table

by Baherrington Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:12 pm

Cannot figure out how m+n=-5
davegerstel
Students

Re: Addition table

by davegerstel Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:21 am

Hey there,
You have to post the entire question if you want to get a proper response. However, I will try to answer you based on what I assume your question is.

A multiplication table is a chart where you have a row of numbers running horizontally at the top of the chart and a row of numbers running vertically at the side of the chart. For example, in the following chart if you add the 1 on top to the 1 on the left side you get 2: hence the number 2 in the spot where the two ones meet. And in the position where the 2 in the top row meets the number one in the left there is a three, because two plus one is three. In the spot where the top 3 and the seven meet there is a ten, 7+3=10. so the chart just adds the top value with the side value.
x1 2 3
1 2 3 4
7 x x 10

Now, in the GMAT charts you get a few numbers and then you figure out one by one what the different values are. For example, consider the following chart...

x M 5 N
A 8
7xxxx 4
P

Where the 7 and the "N" meet there is a 4, so 7+N=4, and N= -3.
The "A" and 5 spot has an 8, so A+5=8, and A=3. You keep figuring out the different values until you have enough information to solve what the question is asking for.

I hope this satisfies you question and good luck,
David
tim
Course Students

Re: Addition table

by tim Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:07 pm

Wow. Thanks for taking a stab at that, Dave. The original poster should be thankful anyone even answered. Please people, make sure you ask questions here that make sense! :)
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html