Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
johnolisa
Forum Guests

Can someone please explain magnitude.

by johnolisa Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:38 pm

Ok im doing trigonometry, what is magnitude exactly, and how do you find it in a vector problem. My teacher said they only exist in vector probs? and vectors are the ones with coordinations so please explain.

PLEASE this has been haunting me. How exactly do u calculate radicals? like 2Square root 10. how do you do it?. and how do u simplify
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Can someone please explain magnitude.

by jnelson0612 Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:24 pm

johnolisa Wrote:Ok im doing trigonometry, what is magnitude exactly, and how do you find it in a vector problem. My teacher said they only exist in vector probs? and vectors are the ones with coordinations so please explain.

PLEASE this has been haunting me. How exactly do u calculate radicals? like 2Square root 10. how do you do it?. and how do u simplify

johnolisa, there is no trigonometry on the GMAT, so I would not worry about that.

If you need to estimate a radical use the perfect squares around that radical to guide you. Let's examine the case of the square root of 10. I know that 3 squared is 9 and 4 squared is 16. Since 10 is between 9 and 16, its square root will be between 3 and 4, although much closer to 3.

Thank you,
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor