Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
karenshushang
Forum Guests

CAT Quant question

by karenshushang Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:54 am

Below is a question from one of the CATs and I can't wrap my head around the answer....

Question:

At a certain hospital, 75% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep and report feeling tired during their shifts. At the same time, 70% of the interns who receive 6 or more hours of sleep report no feelings of tiredness. If 80% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep, what percent of the interns report no feelings of tiredness during their shifts?

a. 6
b. 14
c. 19
d. 20
e. 81

Answer key: (c)
Using double-set matrix to organize the information:
Tired Not Tired TOTAL
6 or more hours 6 14 20
Fewer than 6 hours 75 5 80
TOTAL 81 19 100

Here's my understanding of the question:
Given "75% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep and report feeling tired during their shifts" and "If 80% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep" then the not tired interrns with fewer than 6 hours of sleep would account for 20% (25% of not tired interns among the 80% internss with fewers than 6 hours of sleep) of the entire intern population. I can't figure out how the answer key accounts this group as 5% of the population.

I'm fine with calculating the second part of the question regarding the proportion of interns with more than 6 hours of sleep not feeling tired (20%*70%).

Thanks!
RonPurewal
Students

Re: CAT Quant question

by RonPurewal Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:25 am

karenshushang Wrote:Below is a question from one of the CATs and I can't wrap my head around the answer....

Question:

At a certain hospital, 75% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep and report feeling tired during their shifts. At the same time, 70% of the interns who receive 6 or more hours of sleep report no feelings of tiredness. If 80% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep, what percent of the interns report no feelings of tiredness during their shifts?

a. 6
b. 14
c. 19
d. 20
e. 81

Answer key: (c)
Using double-set matrix to organize the information:
Tired Not Tired TOTAL
6 or more hours 6 14 20
Fewer than 6 hours 75 5 80
TOTAL 81 19 100

Here's my understanding of the question:
Given "75% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep and report feeling tired during their shifts" and "If 80% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep" then the not tired interrns with fewer than 6 hours of sleep would account for 20% (25% of not tired interns among the 80% internss with fewers than 6 hours of sleep) of the entire intern population. I can't figure out how the answer key accounts this group as 5% of the population.

I'm fine with calculating the second part of the question regarding the proportion of interns with more than 6 hours of sleep not feeling tired (20%*70%).

Thanks!

hi, you're misreading the 75% statement. i can tell that you're misreading it because you're taking percentages of the less-than-6-hours group; unfortunately, that's not what the actual words say you should do.

if that statement were to say...
75% of the interns who get less than 6 hours of sleep/day report feeling tired
... then your interpretation would be correct.

but, that's not what it says.
it says that 75% of ALL the interns have BOTH of these things (<6 hours and tired).
let's say that there are 100 interns total. then, 75 of them have both things.
80 of them get <6 hours of sleep (whether they're tired or not), so 80 - 75 = 5 of them get <6 hours of sleep but aren't tired.
garima_aries01
Students

by garima_aries01 Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:28 am

Suppose
L = less sleep
M = More sleep
T = tired
N = not tired

we can have 2x2 = 4 combinations
LT
LN
MT
MN

LT + LN +MT + MN = 100

LT = 75
LT + LN = 80
=> LN = 5
and MT + MN = 20

70% of (MT + MN) = MN
=> MN = 14
MT = 6

Ques asks LN + MN = 5 + 14 =19
tim
Course Students

by tim Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:45 am

i would definitely recommend using a double set matrix for this and all other overlapping sets problems with two categories..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html