Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
ghong14
Course Students

Combantrics Anagram Set Up

by ghong14 Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:33 pm

I have been using the anagram set up to solve the comb. problems and I needed some clarification in terms of the method.

How many ways can be pick 3 people to play in a basketball team out of five people?

YYYNN

So the calculation would be 5!/(3!2!)

On the other hand in the following problem that set up would be different.

How many ways can be pick a Front guard, middle guard and Back guard out of five players?

FMBNN

So the calculation would be 5!/2!

However what I don't understand is how do we know that when something is distinct or not. For example have the specific position on the later is obviously specific therefore we did not put FMB as merely YYY (Y for being picked). However what about this.

How many way can you pick 2 people out of 5?

Is it

YYNNN

5!/(2!3!)

or

FSNNN

5!/3!

How do I differentiate them in the future?
tim
Course Students

Re: Combantrics Anagram Set Up

by tim Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:02 am

your final example gives two scenarios, one where we pick two people to be a group of two people, the other where we pick a person to be F (presumably first) and the second to be S. you brought in a distinction that may or may not be relevant depending on the context. in general, you should ask yourself if the selected items will be in distinct (i.e. distinguishable) groups. if you're selecting them to be part of the same group (i.e. you can't tell apart their role) then give them the same letter..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html