Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.

Data Sufficiency

by Guest Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:09 am

Can anyone help me with this problem please

Six countries in a certain region sent a total of 75 representatives to an international congress, and no two countreis sent the same number of representatives. Of the six countries, if Country A sent the second greatest number of representatives, did Country A send at least 10 representatives?
(1) one of the six countries sent 41 representatives to the congress
(2) Country A sent fewer than 12 representatives to the congress

Re: Data Sufficiency

by Guest Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:16 pm

Guest Wrote:Can anyone help me with this problem please

Six countries in a certain region sent a total of 75 representatives to an international congress, and no two countreis sent the same number of representatives. Of the six countries, if Country A sent the second greatest number of representatives, did Country A send at least 10 representatives?
(1) one of the six countries sent 41 representatives to the congress
(2) Country A sent fewer than 12 representatives to the congress

Let's say you have A, B, C, D, E, F and none of the letters are equal and country A sent the 2nd most # of reps.

1) one of the six countries sent 41 representatives to the congress

B = 41 This means you have 34 reps. to distribute to 5 countries.

A=11 C=10 D=9 E=3 F=1 (This give us a YES)
A=9 C=8 D=7 E=6 F=4 (This answer gives us a NO)

INSUFFICIENT

2) Country A sent fewer than 12 representatives to the congress

B= 41 A=11 C=10 D=9 E=3 F=1 (This give us a YES)
B=41 A=9 C=8 D=7 E=6 F=4 (This answer gives us a NO)

INSUFFICIENT

When we combine the statements, which I already did in 2, we can see that the answer can be YES and NO.

ANSWER E
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:42 am

two things:
* please search before you post: http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/gma ... t2797.html
* please post the problem in the correct folder (this is a gmatprep problem, and should be posted in the gmatprep folder)
thank you.