Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
vscid

DS assumptions

by vscid Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:42 pm

Did Incumbent I get over 50% of the vote?

(1) Challenger C got 49% of the vote.
(2) Incumbent I got 25,000 of the 100,000 votes cast.

In this question (and other similar types,) does the GMAT expect us to assume that there may be other candidates besides I and C?
Also, for this specific question does it expect us to assume that there could be a certain % of no-show votes?
RA

by RA Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:01 am

Unless explicitly specified we should not assume that there were only 2 candidates.

We don't need to consider complicated scenarios such as no-show votes.

Answer to the question should be B. Please confirm.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:28 pm

in general, the guideline is that you should NOT assume any FACTS that are not stated in the prompt. that's a surprisingly simple statement, but it takes care of the whole assumptions issue quite well.

now sometimes, upon stating this, we get objections of the following sort: "well, wait, if i assume i and c are the only candidates, then that would be a fact; but if i assume there are other candidates, then that would also be a fact! help!"

here's the resolution:
if you assume that i and c ARE the only 2 candidates, then that, indeed, is a FACT.
on the other hand, if you assume that there COULD be other candidates, then that is not a fact, and you are actually assuming nothing. in other words, this assumption (there could be other candidates) leaves the possibility open for two things: (a) there ARE other candidates, (b) there ARE NOT other candidates. you are not assuming anything.

hope that helps.