Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
herogmat
Students

DS : Share

by herogmat Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:56 pm

[Deleted]
Ben Ku
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: DS : Share

by Ben Ku Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:18 pm

Please cite the source (author) of this problem. We cannot reply unless a source is cited (and, if no source is cited, we will have to delete the post!). Thanks.
Ben Ku
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
RonPurewal
Students

Re: * DS : Share

by RonPurewal Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:29 am

i'm going to delete this post within 7 days if the source is not given, since it is absolutely worthless for the gmat.
it demands an unacceptably high knowledge of financial terms (dividend, etc.) - and a knowledge of how those things work - and, on top of that, is misleading (the wording of the prompt leads you to think that 50 and 52 are absolute numbers; it comes as a surprise that "dividends" are mentioned later. such trick questions are not permissible on the gmat.)

the ONLY thing you have to know about finance, for this test, is that gross profit = (revenue - cost), or (income - expenses). so, according to the gmat's required level of knowledge, the profit would be $2 based on the question prompt alone.
herogmat
Students

Re: * DS : Share

by herogmat Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:04 am

I got this problem from internet . Don't remember the source of this problem. You are welcome to delete this. I think your points are valid.
Ben Ku
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: DS : Share

by Ben Ku Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:06 am

Deleted because no source was cited.
Ben Ku
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT