Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
zaarathelab
Students

GCD AND LCM of Fractions

by zaarathelab Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:42 pm

Hi I read somewhere that one can calculate the LCM and HCF of fractions using the below mentioned principle -

LCM OF a/b and c/d =
LCM OF Numerators (a and c)/ HCF of denominators (b and d)

Similarily,

HCF of a/b and c/d =

HCF of Numerators(a and c)/ LCM of denominators (b and d)

Is this correct or is there any other approach?

Coz,

if i find the LCM of 5/3 and 7/11 by this rule I get it = 35 which is plain wrong as 35 is not a multiple of 5/3 and 7/11

Experts, pls tell me if we can calculate the LCM and HCF of fractions

Thanks
JohnHarris
Forum Guests

Re: GCD AND LCM of Fractions

by JohnHarris Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:09 pm

zaarathelab Wrote:Hi I read somewhere that one can calculate the LCM and HCF of fractions using the below mentioned principle - ...

I have a pretty good handle on what the least common multiple (LCM) of two rational number are but I'm confused on the highest common factor (HCF). How is a factor of a rational number defined? I can think of several but, in a quick look around the web, I didn't see one.

One of the reasons I ask is that by both Euclid's algorithm and other methods, defining factors of a rational number R as the set (R/n; n = 1, 2, 3, ...), I get the HCF(5/3, 7/11) is 1/33 but a higher common factor is 1

Oh, and BTW,
35 = 21 * 5/3
and
35 = 55 * 7/11
tim
Course Students

Re: GCD AND LCM of Fractions

by tim Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:34 am

Hi John,
No you didn’t miss the memo on this one. Defining an LCM or HCF of things that aren’t integers is dubious at best, at least according to the ordinary definitions of factors and multiples. I see some merit in your definition, although I will point out that 1/33 would be the HCF - although 1 is higher, 1 is a factor of neither of those numbers (if you disagree, it means we are using different definitions for one or more of our terms). Fortunately, these issues WILL NOT show up on the GMAT..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html