Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
Saurabh

GMAT PREP PRACTICE TEST

by Saurabh Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:27 am

On a certain sight seeing tour, the ratio of number of women to number of children was 5 to 2. What was the number of men of the sight seeing tour.

1) On the sight seeing tour the ratio of the number of children to the number of men was 5 to 11.

2) The number of women on the sight seeing tour was less then 30.

In the second statement less then 30 confused me, but I guess women were 25 children 10 and and men 22. any tips on approach to solving these problems.
shaji

Re: GMAT PREP PRACTICE TEST

by shaji Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:49 am

U have guessed correct!!!

Saurabh Wrote:On a certain sight seeing tour, the ratio of number of women to number of children was 5 to 2. What was the number of men of the sight seeing tour.

1) On the sight seeing tour the ratio of the number of children to the number of men was 5 to 11.

2) The number of women on the sight seeing tour was less then 30.

In the second statement less then 30 confused me, but I guess women were 25 children 10 and and men 22. any tips on approach to solving these problems.

by Guest Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:30 pm

So is the answer to this B?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:11 am

OK, so statement 2 is definitely insufficient (it doesn't include ANYTHING about men, so you know it can't be). That narrows the field to choices A, C, and E.

Taking statement1 by itself, we have that W:C is 5:2 and that C:M is 5:11. To combine these ratios, we have to make the common term (children) the same, so we change these ratios to W:C = 25:10 and C:M = 10:22. So the overall ratio is W:C:M = 25:10:22.

Still, statement 1 by itself is insufficient, because there's only a ratio - no clue at all as to the actual NUMBERS of people on the trip (there could be thousands of them, for all we know, or there could literally be 25, 10, and 22). We do know that the numbers of W, C, and M must be MULTIPLES of 25, 10, and 22, respectively.

If we take statements 1 and 2 together, though, the number of women must be 25, because that is the only multiple of 25 that's less than 30. Therefore, we can solve the ratio to determine the number of men (notice that we don't HAVE to solve the ratio - it's good enough that we know we CAN do so).

Answer = C.