Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
michaell423
Students

How to avoid careless mistakes on math??

by michaell423 Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:01 am

Hi Experts,

I tried 3 GMATPrep and once MGMAT mock and I made a lot careless mistakes over and over again on Math:
I made most of my mistakes on CR, always 6/10 and 4/10 on PS:
a) Overlooked the restriction on “different integers” on an question about median concept;
b) Ignored the possibilities of “multiple of integers” in a ratio problem;
c) mistakenly JUST chose a wrong answer after I figure out the right one;
d) Did not see that the graph already offers the value of the length of a square;
e) In DS, when evaluating (2), mistakenly add (1) into (2);
f) ......
Also, I always lack of time for 1 or 2 questions, I also need to improve my timing strategy on math.
There is nothing about concept, knowledge but purely on my mentality, how can I change that and make me more focus (I m even sitting in a very quiet environment), highly appreciate your advise!

Many thanks!
RonPurewal
Students

Re: How to avoid careless mistakes on math??

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:50 am

regarding this:

michaell423 Wrote:I made a lot careless mistakes over and over again on Math:

thought experiment:
let's say that, at the end of the test, someone will give you $50,000 if you don't make ANY "careless mistakes". the money has nothing to do with your score—just with not making careless mistakes.

...do you think you would still make "careless mistakes"?

probably not.

if the answer to this thought experiment is "no, i wouldn't", then just think about how you would approach the work, and what you would change about your current habits, if that $50,000 were on the table.
then, make those changes happen.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: How to avoid careless mistakes on math??

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:51 am

also—
this kind of query belongs in the General GMAT Strategy folder (= first folder on the forum homepage). so, this thread is locked; if you have further questions, please start a new thread in the correct folder.
thanks.