Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
Abhishek

Manhattan Number Properties guide - Page 93, Quant Review

by Abhishek Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:58 am

Hi,

In the number properties book, page 93 - question 116 from quantitative review under exponents and roots.

*****QUESTION DELETED: Actual source is OG Quant Review DS #116******************

While i agree over the working, my question is if x=1/4 , then statement 1 is still true however x doesnt become an integer. So wouldnt the answer be E rather than A. Pls clarify ?

by Guest Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:25 pm

it is given tht x is an integer. it ccannot be 1/4
Abhishek

by Abhishek Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:07 am

oops, thanks i guess i missed reading that part. Query resolved
esledge
Forum Guests

Number Listing

by esledge Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:17 pm

Hi Abhishek,

I had to delete the question within your post, as we cannot post/answer Official Guide questions on the forum for copyright reasons.

However, I must comment on a couple of general principles brought to mind by your question. People OFTEN fail to use "stealth constraints" (e.g. integer, positive integer, etc.) from the question stem itself! A couple of tips to prevent such mistaken thinking:

(A) Write the constraint down. Simply having to read, write, and retain it on your scrapboard can make a difference.

(B) List numbers in a systematic way whenever possible. By systematic, I mean that you don't try numbers randomly (usually done with the question and possible answers in mind), and you don't skip possible values.

(C) When creating your list, ignore the question, and only use the facts. Once you have a list of values that are possible, only then should you answer the question objectively, and for each of them.

P.S. If you are the Abhishek from my class, we can talk about this one next time.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT