Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
shyambhagwat
Course Students

Math Question..

by shyambhagwat Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Alan’s regular hourly wage is 1.5 times Barney’s regular hourly wage, but Barney gets paid at twice his regular wage for any hours he works on Saturday. Both men work an integer number of hours on any given day. If Alan and Barney each worked for the same total non-zero number of hours last week, and earned the same total in wages, which of the following must be true?

I. Alan worked fewer hours Monday through Friday than did Barney.
II. Barney worked at least one hour on Saturday.
III. Barney made more money on Saturday than did Alan.

Answer is Choice 2.

I get the reasoning approach in reaching choice 2.
Can this question be solved by using algebraic technique's/smart numbers..?
mahajanakhil1985
Students

Re: Math Question..

by mahajanakhil1985 Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:47 am

They may be other combinations too. So, reasoning seems to be be the best way to solve such questions.
info
Forum Guests

by info Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:28 am

This can be solved algebraically since this is an example of a work problem. However, identification of variables and proper equations must be observed to find the correct answer...
tim
Course Students

by tim Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:31 pm

I agree. Just reason your way to a correct answer. In general, memorized formulas and techniques should never replace reasoning; they should only be used to enhance the reasoning and make the solution process faster..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html