Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
cyoo1987
Course Students

MGMAT SG4, Guide Book 5 Chapter 8 # 7

by cyoo1987 Sun May 20, 2012 3:27 pm

#7 A line represented by the equation y= -2x+6 is the perpendicular bisector of the line segment AB. IF A has the coordinates (7,2) what are the coordinates for b?

I understand in order to do this problem, you must first find the slope of AB which is equal to 1/2. Making the linear equation for AB equal to y=1/2x+b. After plugging in the coordinates for a, i ended up with y=0.5x-1.5

Then I set the two equations equal to each other and solved for x which was equal to 3.

here is where i got confused. the answer states that the midpoint for A and B are 3, 0. but im not sure where the 0 came from. can someone help? :)
tim
Course Students

Re: MGMAT SG4, Guide Book 5 Chapter 8 # 7

by tim Sat May 26, 2012 9:59 pm

plug 3 in for x in either equation, and y will be 0, so the point we are concerned with is (3,0)
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
cschmidlapp
Course Students

by cschmidlapp Tue May 14, 2013 9:08 am

Separate question on this: why can you plug in the coordinates of point A (7,2) to find the y-intercept for the perpendicular bisector (which should not go through point A because it is bisecting line AB)?

Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu May 16, 2013 4:19 am

cschmidlapp Wrote:Separate question on this: why can you plug in the coordinates of point A (7,2) to find the y-intercept for the perpendicular bisector (which should not go through point A because it is bisecting line AB)?

Thanks

Check that out again; the poster is plugging in to find the equation of AB, not the equation of the bisector.

The y-intercept of the bisector is already known (it's 6; just look at the given equation), so there would be no sense in trying to "solve for" it.