Strategy Guides, Question Banks, Homework Banks, and all other MPREP GMAT Non-CAT related IR questions.
JSYC
Students

MSR Question Bank - Question 1 "Taxi Swiper"

by JSYC Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:09 am

Hello! this is my first time posting a question on the forum, so if this format is wrong or gets deleted, could you please let me know:
what, where, and how I need to fix? If there's a step-by-step guide, I would highly appreciate it! thank you :!:

Question:
How many $20 fares would cover the cost of installation solely from the increase in tips (pre-tax but after transaction fees)?

My Work:
1) From the passage, I know average tips increased by 15% because (25%-10%)
"Nevertheless, once the systems were in place, drivers were pleased by the average increase in tips from 10% to 25% (added to the fare), while the potential for additional advertising revenue (via the screens) thrilled the companies."

2) So I took $20 fare and multiply by 15% = 20*0.15=$3 << This is increase of tips

3) Then I took installation cost of $450 to divide by $3 = $150 << I got $150, but this wasn't in the choices, so I picked $200. Although this is correct, but I would like to understand why.

Solution:
1) Particularly, I don't get this part >> $3 – $0.75 = $2.25. >> Why deduct $0.75?

2) Passage stated: "about the 3% processing fee per transaction (levied on both fare and tip)" >> Why do we need to multiply $20 by 25% ?
25% is the result of increased tips; not differences between the old tips and new tips, which would be 15%? (Please see below)
>> $20+15%=$23, then 3% of $23 is $0.69. Thus, increase in tips minus transaction fee is $3 - $0.69 = $2.31. So divide $450 by $2.31, I would get $195.

(I know this is still wrong :? Please help explain )

Thank you in advance!

RonPurewal
Students

Re: MSR Question Bank - Question 1 "Taxi Swiper"

by RonPurewal Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:17 pm

hello -- sorry for the delay, your post was "flagged" for some reason (and thus didn't show up on the main forum page).

as per the forum rules, you'll need to reproduce the ENTIRE problem EXACTLY as originally provided.
if there are diagrams/tables/charts/other visual aids, you'll need to either embed images of those here, or else upload them to an image-hosting site and then post a link here (if you can't figure out how to embed images).

thanks.