Verbal questions and topics from the Official Guide and Verbal Review books.
GMAT 2007

OG Verbal Review - SC - #50

by GMAT 2007 Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:25 am

Domestic automobile manufacturers have invested millions of dollars into research to develop cards more gasoline-efficient even than presently on the road.

(A) Same
(B) into research for developing even more gasoline-efficient cards on the road than at present
(C) for research for cars to be developed that are more gasoline-efficient than presently the road
(D) in research to develop cards even more gasoline-efficient than those at present on the road
(E) in research for developing cars that are even more gasoline-efficient than presently on the road

(D) is the correct answer but please help me understand the following: -

(A) (B) and (C) are out because Invested in is the better construction. In (E) I understand presently is not parallel to gas-efficient. But in which cases should one prefer the infinitive ('to develop') over participle ('for developing').
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

GMAT OG Verbal Review SC #50

by StaceyKoprince Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:01 pm

Does "VR" refer to the OG Verbal Review supplement? I'll assume it does, but let me know if I'm wrong!

The question you're asking is essentially another idiom, unfortunately - just something you have to memorize (like knowing that it should be "invested in" rather than "into" or "for"). We invest in research to do something (right). We invest in research for doing something (wrong).
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
GMAT 2007

by GMAT 2007 Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:44 pm

Thanks Stacey.