Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
priyakashyap3
Students

* Pls help - Is there a formula for this?

by priyakashyap3 Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:31 am

What is the shortest distance between the following two lines :
x + y = 3 and 2x + 2y = 8 ?

A. 3 B. 4 C. 1 D. Square root 2 (i.e.1.4) E. Square root 2/2 (i.e.1.4/2)

OA is E.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Pls help - Is there a formula for this?

by RonPurewal Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:06 am

hi --
i noticed that this is your first post.
welcome!
but please read the forum rules: read-before-you-post-general-verbal-folder-guidelines-t2718.html

you can't post problems in this folder without giving the ORIGINAL SOURCE of the problem -- i.e., the company or author that first produced the problem (not, for instance, a forum or other secondhand source on which it has previously been posted).
if you don't know the original source, then i'm sorry, but you can't post the problem here.
this applies to MGMAT problems as well -- there are over three thousand problems in our database, so we won't recognize all of them from memory.

we will delete this thread within a week if the original source of the problem is not posted. thanks.
srivatsan_r_23
Students

Re: * Pls help - Is there a formula for this?

by srivatsan_r_23 Thu May 26, 2011 4:23 am

I too saw this question in a one of the gmat TEST series. Can anyone say how to proceed in this problem? Else tell me the logic behind this.

Eg:For Any two eqns given , how to calculate the shortest distance between them ?
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: * Pls help - Is there a formula for this?

by jnelson0612 Sat May 28, 2011 3:13 pm

srivatsan_r_23 Wrote:I too saw this question in a one of the gmat TEST series. Can anyone say how to proceed in this problem? Else tell me the logic behind this.

Eg:For Any two eqns given , how to calculate the shortest distance between them ?

Will the original poster please confirm the source of this question?
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor