Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
english_august

Probability DS question

by english_august Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:56 pm

[DELETED - sorry, guys, this is a GMAT Sets problem. GMAT Sets contain illegally reproduced official GMAT questions, so we cannot host that source on our forum. Sorry for the inconvenience.]

-----------------
I am pretty sure that there is a better way to solve this. But if not, then how would you rate this question on a difficulty scale of 1 to 10?

DC problem

by guest Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:01 pm

No, don't see any quicker way of doing this, and I think you're approach of considering the boundary conditions is right on. This is a pretty tough problem, perhaps an 8-9 on a scale of 1-10.

Interestingly, I think you would drive to exactly the same answer without knowing that N=10...the arithmetic just gets a bit more involved.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:53 pm

Your general reasoning is the best way to approach this. The other thing you could do is use the same reasoning to set your boundary condition up front.

[DELETED - sorry, guys, this is a GMAT Sets problem. GMAT Sets contain illegally reproduced official GMAT questions, so we cannot host that source on our forum. Sorry for the inconvenience.]
Last edited by StaceyKoprince on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:54 pm

And, oops, you got really lucky b/c I answered this without noticing that you haven't cited the source of the question. Please do so or I will have to delete your question and my response!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
english_august

by english_august Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:38 am

This question is from some questions that I got online. These are frequently and euphemistically referred to as "GMAT Sets" though I have no idea about the original source of these sets. This question is from Quant Set 1.