Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
nikhilneela
Forum Guests

Probability Question

by nikhilneela Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:03 am

Hi all,
I have a line segment and i cut into 3 parts. What is the probability that the 3 parts form a triangle? What would be the sample space for this?
saukachi
Students

Re: Probability Question

by saukachi Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:19 pm

Do you have the answer?
I could solve it if I add a constraint that all the three parts have an integer value.
nikhilneela
Forum Guests

by nikhilneela Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:41 am

I don't have answer. Ya u can assume that the three parts are integers.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:51 pm

nikhilneela Wrote:Hi all,
I have a line segment and i cut into 3 parts. What is the probability that the 3 parts form a triangle? What would be the sample space for this?

I think we need much more information to obtain this kind of a probability.

For example, if I have a length of rope 10.
I can cut it into 1-1-8 (no triangle)
Or 2-3-5 (no triangle)
Or 4-4-2 (triangle)
Or 3-3-4 (triangle)

If I have length of rope 4, I can have
1-1-2 (no triangle)
That's it assuming all the lengths are integers. Thus, I don't see how you could figure this probability without at a minimum knowing the length of rope.

Is this a question you found somewhere, or did you make this question up?
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
nikhilneela
Forum Guests

by nikhilneela Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:56 am

Hi,
Thanks for ur time..I didnot make up this question. I was asked this question in an interview and i too asked the same way about the length of the rope. The person told me to assume the length to be an integer. That's it.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:34 pm

nikhilneela Wrote:Hi,
Thanks for ur time..I didnot make up this question. I was asked this question in an interview and i too asked the same way about the length of the rope. The person told me to assume the length to be an integer. That's it.

Got it! Well, I think this is about the best answer you could give. You could show that there are cases in which you could have a triangle and cases in which you might now. That is an interesting interview question.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
nikhilneela
Forum Guests

by nikhilneela Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:18 am

Got it! Well, I think this is about the best answer you could give. You could show that there are cases in which you could have a triangle and cases in which you might now. That is an interesting interview question.

Hi Nelson,
I dont understand what u mean by cases? What all cases are there for this question? Could u spare some time and elaborate?
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:53 pm

nikhilneela Wrote:

Hi Nelson,
I dont understand what u mean by cases? What all cases are there for this question? Could u spare some time and elaborate?

I meant different possibilities, such as what I posted above:

For example, if I have a length of rope 10.
I can cut it into 1-1-8 (no triangle)
Or 2-3-5 (no triangle)
Or 4-4-2 (triangle)
Or 3-3-4 (triangle)

If I have length of rope 4, I can have
1-1-2 (no triangle)
That's it assuming all the lengths are integers. Thus, I don't see how you could figure this probability without at a minimum knowing the length of rope.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor