Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
brianfalzer
Students

Question about Prime Boxes

by brianfalzer Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:45 am

I need some clarification about Prime Boxes:

Can you combine prime boxes in any way (add/multiplication)? Also, when should you be on the lookout for REDUNDANT primes when checking for divisibility by two or more numbers? I see that nuance come up a few times in certain problems but just can't seem to understand it.

Thank you.
tim
Course Students

Re: Question about Prime Boxes

by tim Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:12 pm

this is as good a post as any to talk about my Three Fundamental Rules of Prime Boxes (tm):

1) when you make a prime box for a variable, make sure to include a question mark (to remind yourself that no matter what they do tell you about the box, there could be additional information you don't know about)

2) never place more in a prime box than you absolutely need; you can guard against this by adding one number at a time, but only if you're sure you need it (this should answer your question about redundancy)

3) if you make a prime box for a product, you can split the box into separate compartments; for instance, xy's prime box will contain a section devoted to x and one to y (hopefully this answers your question about multiplication)

you should generally avoid trying to do anything resembling addition with prime boxes..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
jackchang1029
Students

by jackchang1029 Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:07 am

Having viewed Ron's video on Prime Box and Tim's explanation above, I am still a bit puzzled on correctly inputting repeated primes of two integers into a PB. Perhaps, an example would better illustrate my question, and I hope you guys can help

If n is divisible by 40 and n is divisible by 20...

Primes of 40: 2, 2, 2 and 5
Primes of 20: 2, 2, and 5

Should the Prime Box contain:

2, 2, 2, 5, 5...?

OR

2, 2, 2, 5...?

Since I combined a total of four 2's from primes of 40 and 20 and only put two of them in the Prime Box, should I combine the 5 as well? Please help!

Ron's video on PB for those who haven't seen it:
Video I viewed: http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/06/ ... rime-boxes
jackchang1029
Students

by jackchang1029 Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:59 am

Before receiving a reply with the correct answer, my educated guess would be that the prime box should include 2, 2, 2 and 5 PLUS ...?

Following Ron's analogy of "eye witnesses at a crime scene" when dealing with repeated primes, first eyewitness saw suspect "n" carrying three 2s and one 5. Second witness saw the SAME suspect carrying two 2's and one 5.

Given that both of them are telling the truth and describing the same suspect, there should be a total of three 2s and one 5.

Please advise if the above logic is what I should follow when dealing with similar questions in the future.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:58 pm

jackchang1029 Wrote:Having viewed Ron's video on Prime Box and Tim's explanation above, I am still a bit puzzled on correctly inputting repeated primes of two integers into a PB. Perhaps, an example would better illustrate my question, and I hope you guys can help

If n is divisible by 40 and n is divisible by 20...

Primes of 40: 2, 2, 2 and 5
Primes of 20: 2, 2, and 5

Should the Prime Box contain:

2, 2, 2, 5, 5...?

OR

2, 2, 2, 5...?

Since I combined a total of four 2's from primes of 40 and 20 and only put two of them in the Prime Box, should I combine the 5 as well? Please help!

Ron's video on PB for those who haven't seen it:
Video I viewed: http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/06/ ... rime-boxes

Here's an easy way to think about it. For every distinct prime integer in a prime box, have a contest. Count the number of each integer among the two numbers. Majority wins.

Let me use your example of n which is divisible by 40 and 20:
40=2*2*2*5
20=2*2*5

The first distinct integer is 2. Which number has the most 2s? 40 has three 2s. Thus, n has at least three 2s.

The other distinct integer is 5. Both numbers have one 5, so this one is a tie. Thus, n has at least one 5.

n's prime box must contain 2, 2, 2, 5 as factors, and it may have others. But we know that it definitely has these.

Let's look at another example. Let's say that n is divisible by 12, 27, 50, and 75.
12=2,2,3
27=3,3,3
50=2,5,5
75=3,5,5

2=12 has the most, two. There are at least two 2s that are prime factors of n.
3=27 has the most, three. There are at least three 3s that are prime factors of n.
5=50 and 75 tie with two. There are at least two 5s that are prime factors of n.

Thus, n's prime box must contain:
2,2,3,3,3,5,5 and it could contain other factors.

Hope this makes sense!
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:59 pm

jackchang1029 Wrote:Before receiving a reply with the correct answer, my educated guess would be that the prime box should include 2, 2, 2 and 5 PLUS ...?

Following Ron's analogy of "eye witnesses at a crime scene" when dealing with repeated primes, first eyewitness saw suspect "n" carrying three 2s and one 5. Second witness saw the SAME suspect carrying two 2's and one 5.

Given that both of them are telling the truth and describing the same suspect, there should be a total of three 2s and one 5.

Please advise if the above logic is what I should follow when dealing with similar questions in the future.

Jack, correct! :-)
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
jackchang1029
Students

by jackchang1029 Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:21 am

Thank you Jamie :)

Your explanation and tip on deciding how to select the correct #s for the Prime Boxes is very useful. Thanks again!
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:55 pm

glad this discussion helped!
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html