Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
AmunaGmat
Course Students

Study hall Remainder question

by AmunaGmat Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:01 pm

Hi Ron and happy new year :)

In this problem from study hall:

If M and N are positive intergers, what is the remainder when N is divided by M.
1. N= 7m +3

I have the same question as one of the student, Rishi. He said he assumed that M>3 and you replied by saying do not assume anything. I do not think this is an Assumption but the truth, because we know that remainders should be less than the divisor. What I mean is e.g remainders of 7 will be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 and never equal or greater than 7.

Am I missing something?
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Study hall Remainder question

by jnelson0612 Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:09 pm

AmunaGmat Wrote:Hi Ron and happy new year :)

If M and N are positive intergers, what is the remainder when N is divided by M.
1. N= 7m +3

I have the same question as one of the student, Rishi. He said he assumed that M>3 and you replied by saying do not assume anything. I do not think this is an Assumption but the truth, because we know that remainders should be less than the divisor. What I mean is e.g remainders of 7 will be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 and never equal or greater than 7.

Am I missing something?

Yes, I think you are getting a little turned around here. We derive N from an equation involving M. M can be any positive integer; there are no constraints on M in this equation. We use values of M to obtain values of N and only then do we think about remainders when N is divided by M.

I look at this and think that I should choose numbers:
When M=1, N=10. 10(N) divided by 1(M) has quotient 10, remainder 0.
When M=2, N=17. 17 divided by 2 has quotient 8, remainder 1.

Right there I would say that statement 1 is not sufficient, because I have two different values for remainders.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
AmunaGmat
Course Students

by AmunaGmat Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:52 am

jnelson0612 Wrote:
AmunaGmat Wrote:Hi Ron and happy new year :)

1. N= 7m +3

Am I missing something?

Yes, I think you are getting a little turned around here. We derive N from an equation involving M. M can be any positive integer; there are no constraints on M in this equation. We use values of M to obtain values of N and only then do we think about remainders when N is divided by M.

I look at this and think that I should choose numbers:
When M=1, N=10. 10(N) divided by 1(M) has quotient 10, remainder 0.
When M=2, N=17. 17 divided by 2 has quotient 8, remainder 1.

Right there I would say that statement 1 is not sufficient, because I have two different values for remainders.

Thanks a lot J. I got the point!!!
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:45 pm

glad to hear it!
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html