Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
leong_edwin
Forum Guests

Units digit problem - is MGMAT answer key wrong?

by leong_edwin Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:12 pm

In the advanced MGMAT quant book, I came across the following problem:

What is the units digit of y?

1) The units digit of y^2 is 6
2) The units digit of (y+1)^2 is 5

Answer key says B is right answer.

I agree that A and D are incorrect, due to fact that y can be either 4 or 6 for statement 1.

But for statement 2, we know that (y+1) needs sum to a number that has a ones digit of 5. Doesn't this mean that y can be either 4 or -6, which will both lead to either 5 or -5, which when squared will be 25. Doesn't this mean that the ones digit for y could be 4 or 6, so the answer should be E?

Any one have any insight on this?
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Units digit problem - is MGMAT answer key wrong?

by jnelson0612 Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:35 pm

leong_edwin Wrote:In the advanced MGMAT quant book, I came across the following problem:

What is the units digit of y?

1) The units digit of y^2 is 6
2) The units digit of (y+1)^2 is 5

Answer key says B is right answer.

I agree that A and D are incorrect, due to fact that y can be either 4 or 6 for statement 1.

But for statement 2, we know that (y+1) needs sum to a number that has a ones digit of 5. Doesn't this mean that y can be either 4 or -6, which will both lead to either 5 or -5, which when squared will be 25. Doesn't this mean that the ones digit for y could be 4 or 6, so the answer should be E?

Any one have any insight on this?

Wow, I can't disagree with anything you've said and think you are right. The problem should have stipulated that y is positive.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
parleybaldwin
Course Students

by parleybaldwin Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:08 am

Perhaps when referring to "units digit," we are to assume that it is a positive number. Or maybe MGMAT just made that assumption. It could just be one of the quirks of the GMAT that we have to learn. Stupid test!...lol
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:53 pm

parleybaldwin Wrote:Perhaps when referring to "units digit," we are to assume that it is a positive number. Or maybe MGMAT just made that assumption. It could just be one of the quirks of the GMAT that we have to learn. Stupid test!...lol

Well, a digit itself is always positive, thus the units digit of -15 is 5. I still think we have trouble here--hard to say!
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor