Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
caputo.robert
Course Students

VIC's question

by caputo.robert Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:00 pm

I've gone through the VIC's lesson in the strategy guide and after much practice i've determined the following; the hybrid approach doesn't really work for me, I can solve with variables on the simpler problems, and plugging numbers is the most consistent way for me to answer correctly. However, plugging numbers is killing my timing (per my CAT). Does anyone have some advice for me so I can improve on this question type?

Thanks,
Rob
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: VIC's question

by jnelson0612 Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:13 pm

caputo.robert Wrote:I've gone through the VIC's lesson in the strategy guide and after much practice i've determined the following; the hybrid approach doesn't really work for me, I can solve with variables on the simpler problems, and plugging numbers is the most consistent way for me to answer correctly. However, plugging numbers is killing my timing (per my CAT). Does anyone have some advice for me so I can improve on this question type?

Thanks,
Rob

Sure! I am a real believer in plugging number and find that it is often quicker than any other method. Does the time problem come in calculating all of the answer choices? I find that there are often shortcuts to allow you to eliminate two or three answers without calculating. Let us know where you get bogged down and we can help.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
caputo.robert
Course Students

by caputo.robert Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:21 pm

Hi Jamie - yes, the calculations definitely play a large role in my inefficiency. I'd say to a lesser extent, my timining issues can also be attributed to in decision as to which numbers to test and i occasionally find myself plugging the wrong number in for the variable (which leads to wasted calcs) so i guess my organization plays a role. However, id say that the calculations for each answer choice play the most significant role in my timing.
Thanks
Rob
AmunaGmat
Course Students

by AmunaGmat Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am

caputo.robert Wrote:Hi Jamie - yes, the calculations definitely play a large role in my inefficiency. I'd say to a lesser extent, my timining issues can also be attributed to in decision as to which numbers to test and i occasionally find myself plugging the wrong number in for the variable (which leads to wasted calcs) so i guess my organization plays a role. However, id say that the calculations for each answer choice play the most significant role in my timing.
Thanks
Rob

I was in the same boat. This is how I did it, I practiced by picking 2, 3, 5, 7, 11 because they are primes and the more I work with them, the more I know their multiples and their values as fractions e.g 6/5, thus my timing got better. And you can also make them 20, 30, 50, 70 etc, depending on the problem. Of course for % problems you will mostly use 100. By organization, I have the mgmat laminate booklet and when I calculate complicated numbers I write each number in a block to make it clear and easy to follow. This was helpful in times when I am tired and cannot calculate % increase or decrease in mind, such questions were messy for me e.g 8567*1.08. I hope i helped and good luck!!!
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:46 pm

thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html