Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.

Weird right triangle that always comes up on GMAT practice

by Guest Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:55 pm

I've seen several variations of this problem and can never fully convince myself that I'm given enough information.

They usually give you two of the segments and expect you to figure out the values of each additional segment.
How can this be done given the following?

The value of every segment given:

XG and GY

--or--

PG and GY

--or--

XY and PY

You get the drift....

similar triangles

by guest Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:53 pm

If the big triangle (XYP) is a right triangle, then the two small triangles as well as the big triangle are all similar triangles. You can figure this out because you know all three angles are the same in each triangle. The easiest way to convince yourself of this would be to plug a numeric value (say 30 degrees) into any of the non-right angles and solve for the rest remembering that the internal angles of a triangle sum to 180 degrees.

Once you know the triangles are similar, then you can use any additional info given to determine the ratio of the sides of the two similar triangles.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Weird right triangle that always comes up on GMAT practi

by RonPurewal Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:49 am

hey -

as the poster above me has indicated, you don't have enough information, unless you're told that the large triangle is also a right triangle. if it is (i.e., angle PYX is a right angle), then all 3 triangles are similar.

since time is at a premium on this test, though, you won't want to muddle through setting up proportions, etc. to solve the triangles. instead, you should just memorize the following 3 equations:
(GY)^2 = (GP)(GX)
(PY)^2 = (PG)(PX)
(XY)^2 = (XG)(XP)

here's the easiest way to get those down (besides raw memorization, of course):
lay the triangle flat on side PX.
pick one of the points on the bottom of the triangle (the points listed in orange in the above equations).
take the one side in the figure that starts at your chosen point and isn't contained in the bottom side of the diagram. (for instance, if you've chosen point G, then this side will be GY.) that side is going to be SQUARED.
take the 2 sides in the bottom of the diagram that start at the orange point. (if you've chosen point G, then these are GP and GX.) those sides are going to be multiplied together.
then set the square and the product equal. voilà!

by Guest Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:37 pm

Ron, you run it! Thanks
rfernandez
Course Students

by rfernandez Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:05 am

We're glad it was helpful!