Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

LSAT in US vs. LSAT outside of US

by LSAT-Chang Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:12 pm

Hello!
I was just so curious to know about the LSAT tests administered OUTSIDE of US...
I've been reading a lot of forums on how they are much "easier" and how the curve is a lot more "generous" probably because the people taking it are mainly composed of non-americans...
If that is the case, won't everyone take the LSAT outside of US? I mean I think I would be more than willing to afford $2000 for a plane trip to just go to South Korea and take the LSAT if it really were much easier and the curve was more generous.
Does anyone know if it is the same exam? Or if it's different, how can it be? Are the tests that those people take never released??
I mean I am scheduled to take it this October in the US, but was just dying to know how that was possible... I don't understand how they would be administering a same test 3 weeks later OR how they would be administering a different test... since there is only ONE published for June, Sep/Oct, and December.
Just CURIOUS to know!!

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: LSAT in US vs. LSAT outside of US

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:57 am

Notice that the LSAT being administered in Korea is on Sunday, October 2nd. Which means, due to the time change, that it's actually happening on the same day as the LSAT in the United States.

It's the same test form as everyone else. I'm not sure where you were reading that the test is easier overseas, but the test itself is the same. Sorry, the questions won't get any easier if you take the test abroad!

On a slightly different perspective of the same issue, there have been questions raised about the supervision level of administrations in foreign countries. For example, I heard from someone who took the LSAT in Moscow a few years back that there were 8 people taking the test in the same room, and that the proctor simply walked out of the room during the sections, so that there was no one watching them when they were working on the test. So they could ask each other questions, work on sections out of order, whatever they liked!

That's not the same as having an easier test, but it sure makes the test... "easier?" Hope that helps!

LSAT-Chang
Thanks Received: 38
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

by LSAT-Chang Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:35 am

mshermn Wrote:Notice that the LSAT being administered in Korea is on Sunday, October 2nd. Which means, due to the time change, that it's actually happening on the same day as the LSAT in the United States.

It's the same test form as everyone else. I'm not sure where you were reading that the test is easier overseas, but the test itself is the same. Sorry, the questions won't get any easier if you take the test abroad!

On a slightly different perspective of the same issue, there have been questions raised about the supervision level of administrations in foreign countries. For example, I heard from someone who took the LSAT in Moscow a few years back that there were 8 people taking the test in the same room, and that the proctor simply walked out of the room during the sections, so that there was no one watching them when they were working on the test. So they could ask each other questions, work on sections out of order, whatever they liked!

That's not the same as having an easier test, but it sure makes the test... "easier?" Hope that helps!

Wow that is ridiculous! Haha, well I was actually referring to the June exam. The June exam is administered 3 weeks later in Asia/Australia. I didn't know the October was administered the same time. October makes sense. Do you have any clue as to the June one?

panman36
Thanks Received: 5
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by panman36 Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:37 pm

I've taken the test in the states once and in asia once. I'll be taking it again in Asia this December. I'm surprised that you heard that the test overseas is easier. I've heard speculation that the test overseas is harder, particularly the games section. I doubt any of this is founded, especially what you heard about the curves. Since none of the overseas tests are released I'm not sure how anyone can make a claim like that.

If I had to make a guess I'd say that the games section is harder and RC is easier since that's where the Asians strengths and weaknesses lie. That seems to conform to the LSAT I took. But I wouldn't go out of my way to take it in any particular continent.

P.S. I had no experience like mshermn mentioned on my LSAT though that would be awesome. Also I believe he's mistaken and there is in fact a different test for each continent.

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:57 pm

panman36 Wrote:Also I believe he's mistaken and there is in fact a different test for each continent.

I think you're right. While i couldn't find anything specific to verify that the LSAT that will be administered in Asia will be a different test form than that administered with the 50 United States, Canada, and the Caribbean, the following page clearly indicates that any LSAT administered outside of the United States is undisclosed:

http://www.lsac.org/jd/LSAT/test-disclo ... #disclosed

That would suggest that it is a different test form, though not necessarily. Those who take the LSAT under special accommodations also take an undisclosed LSAT and though recently I haven't heard of anyone taking the LSAT under accommodated testing who had the exact same test form, in the past man of my students have reported taking the same LSAT as was released for everyone else - though this hasn't happened in many years.

Thanks for sharing your first-hand experience with this panman36!

mark_gg_daniels
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

by mark_gg_daniels Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:37 pm

I just took the December LSAT in the UK, and it was definitely different than the one in the US after I looked at the topics that came up in the RC for Americas... I did not read the same passages.

Also it had a LG experimental, unlike the US which seems to have been a LR.

I totally bombed one of the LGs, and I have been praying that it was the experimental. The questions were quite unusual, so I' hoping this means the were not real?

I have considered cancelling my score, but seems crazy when it could have been good.

sophia30stockton
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

by sophia30stockton Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:39 pm

I also took the test in the UK and noticed that I did not have the same questions as everyone back in the states. I am wondering why we have different tests since we take it at 2 which is 8 back home. How is that fair to give out different kinds of tests with the curve? And what is the point?

kkate
Thanks Received: 1
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by kkate Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:39 am

mattsherman Wrote:It's the same test form as everyone else. I'm not sure where you were reading that the test is easier overseas, but the test itself is the same. Sorry, the questions won't get any easier if you take the test abroad!

I agree that the test won't be any easier (it shouldn't be for fairness!) but I think people are saying this because perhaps it gets scored "easier" for whatever reason (ie. competition not as high as in the States or Canada)?