Q10

shirando21
Thanks Received: 16
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q10

by shirando21 Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:07 pm

I was able to narrow down to B and E. I know B is supported by L16-18.

But I couldn't figure out why E is wrong.

It seems to me, the functions of proverbs as inculcation of table manners and regulation of peer-group relationships both serve as educational purposes.

can anyone explain?

Or does the passage suggest that the purpose is not both of table manners and peer-group relationships, but E means one proverb serves both purposes, which is not correct?

demetri.blaisdell
Thanks Received: 161
LSAT Geek

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q10

by demetri.blaisdell Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:10 pm

I think you've found strong support for (B) in the text. But why is (E) wrong?

(E) is contradicted by a few lines of the passage. Lines 4-7 tell us that the main purpose of proverbs is the "carrying of a message or piece of wisdom" (singular, not plural). Lines 24-28 tell us about proverbs being used for education, but they never say that each proverb has multiple meanings or purposes. Yes, proverbs taken as a whole have many purposes but (E) is talking about each one having many meanings. That's not in the passage.

Hope this helps.

Demetri

shirando21
Thanks Received: 16
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by shirando21 Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:11 pm

demetri.blaisdell Wrote:I think you've found strong support for (B) in the text. But why is (E) wrong?

(E) is contradicted by a few lines of the passage. Lines 4-7 tell us that the main purpose of proverbs is the "carrying of a message or piece of wisdom" (singular, not plural). Lines 24-28 tell us about proverbs being used for education, but they never say that each proverb has multiple meanings or purposes. Yes, proverbs taken as a whole have many purposes but (E) is talking about each one having many meanings. That's not in the passage.

Hope this helps.

Demetri

good point, thank you so much!

schafferadamj
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by schafferadamj Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:47 pm

I see the support for (B), but why is (D) wrong here; is it not supported by lines 45-47, on how some proverbs that don't serve a didactic purpose serve as a vehicle for the transmission of the Spanish language (and MX culture)?

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 641
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by maryadkins Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:52 pm

The fact that the proverb "does not have an explicitly didactic purpose" means it is not being used to teach language. It's merely serving "as a vehicle for the transmission of it. (D) is wrong for this reason.

(A) and (C) are not supported:
(A) - "seldom intended" - no
(C) - "most frequent" and "is for the purpose of" is not supported.

ganbayou
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ganbayou Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:18 am

I thought E is correct because it serves both to teach something and enhance familiarity with their heritage...
Why is E wrong?
I'm still not convinced...

andrewgong01
Thanks Received: 61
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by andrewgong01 Fri May 19, 2017 11:06 pm

demetri.blaisdell Wrote:I think you've found strong support for (B) in the text. But why is (E) wrong?

Hope this helps.

Demetri

I am still confused by "E" because I chose "E" because the final paragraph of the passage talks about proverbs being used to give a sense of community. In fact the passage says "proverbs often serve to foster...[sense of identity]" on line 43. Hence my thinking was that it is true that is serves an education tol most of the time but it is often also served to foster a sense of identity, which is two purposes being served