Q15

catie0128
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Q15

by catie0128 Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:08 pm

I do not understand why B is a better answer than C. C seems to be a more precise statement of what both passages are trying to examine.

dababbott
Thanks Received: 1
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Q15

by dababbott Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:43 pm

B isn't the right answer, A is.

I think C is tempting, but is wrong because none of the societies discussed are "strictly agriculural."

bbirdwell
Thanks Received: 864
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

by bbirdwell Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:01 am

Right on!

"Examining which of the following topics" is an interesting phrase. This doesn't mean we're looking for the main point. We are looking for something that's "examined," which is actually more likely to be evidence for the conclusions. Evidence is what's examined. So what's the main kind of evidence that each passage relies on? Agriculture and diet in history!

That's pretty much what (A) says.
(B) nope. Passage A does not talk about overall health.
(C) nope. Much of Passage A discusses non-agricultural societies.
(D) nope. The "first" is never mentioned.
(E) nope. Too specific.

Process of elimination!
I host free online workshop/Q&A sessions called Zen and the Art of LSAT. You can find upcoming dates here: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/zen-and-the-art.cfm

Laura Damone
Thanks Received: 94
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 3 times.

by Laura Damone Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:52 pm

Here's my take on it...

15. (A)
Question Type: Synthesis (1-5, 13-22, 36-38, 55-63)

This question requires that we assess the similarities between the two passages and identify the subject matter that is central to both. Because both passages look at dental records in order to assess when agriculture was developing within a given population, (A) is the correct answer. It might be surprising that the answer doesn’t include a reference to teeth, but the dental record is part of the archeological record.

(B) is too narrow in scope. Although overall health is mentioned, it is not central.
(C) is also too narrow in scope because we're not examining strictly agricultural societies. We’re examining societies transitioning from hunter-gatherer lifestyles to agricultural ones.
(D) is out of scope because we're not looking for the first agricultural society.
(E) is also out of scope because we're looking at both pre-agricultural and agricultural populations, and we're not primarily concerned with either's ability to obtain foods. Rather, we're concerned with what the dental records indicate about the foods each group consumed.
Laura Damone
LSAT Content & Curriculum Lead | Manhattan Prep

chike_eze
Thanks Received: 94
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked

by chike_eze Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:39 am

This question pisses me off.

This is really subtle, at least for me.

I guess If Passage A's main conclusion is "prehistoric human teeth can provide clues about transition from hunter-gatherer to agricultural one"
And
Passage B's overall conclusion is "that although agriculture increased, the diet of Ban chiang was varied which accounts for the unexpected results"

Then I guess I could see that (A) is the correct answer. But it seems so annoyingly non-obvious.

Or am I still missing the obvious?

Acing LSAT
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by Acing LSAT Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:34 pm

I must take issue with Laura.baragona, the passages are not using the dental records to indicate what those people ate. there is a number of references in both passages to independent knowledge of what people ate.
passage one P2 and P3

passage 2 P3

it might be the best choice by POE but it is not the focus of either passage

gplaya123
Thanks Received: 15
Forum Guests

This post thanked 1 time.

by gplaya123 Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:20 pm

Didn't anyone have a trouble with wording of the question...
like the word "primarily?"

Thanks Received: 2
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by 513852276 Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:06 am

gplaya123 Wrote:Didn't anyone have a trouble with wording of the question...
like the word "primarily?"

The "primarily" means 1. for the most part (as chiefly) 2. in the first place (as originally) in Merriam-Webster Dictionary App. I take the first meaning. As bbirdwell correctly pointed, "examining" indicates answer choice may be a little bit "indirect", as we need to see it "functions as examining..." rather than its "direct meanings". The main point for two passages are about "teeth". I would say even if choice C includes "agriculture and non-agriculture society", the right answer would still be A. As choice C is "what it says" but choice A is more like "what it could be used for...":)

JinZ551
Thanks Received: 3
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by JinZ551 Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:43 pm

I think one thing that makes B so attractive is we sometimes intuitively link "teeth caries" to "health"...
But these two passages mainly uses teeth caries as one kind of archeological evidence, without mentioning its harmful health effect at all. Nice trap, LSAT!