Would love to hear thoughts on A vs. C

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 641
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q22

by maryadkins Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:00 am

The latter two excerpts are specific examples of the phenomenon described in lines 8-13. They aren't assertions in themselves, right? They're factual. (C) calls them assertions. "Observations" in (A) is another way of describing factual evidence.

(B) is wrong because the latter two excerpts are not arguments.

(D) is wrong because the three portions of the text are consistent, not conflicting, and because lines 8-13 don't describe an assumption.

(E) is wrong because the latter portions are not "incompatible generalizations" (they're not incompatible and not generalizations).

geverett
Thanks Received: 79
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by geverett Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:27 pm

Learn something new every day about this test. Assertions are not necessarily factual. Observations can be considered factual?

joseph.m.kirby
Thanks Received: 55
Forum Guests

This post thanked 5 times.

by joseph.m.kirby Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:54 pm

Here's my take on A vs. C. Please let me know if I am mistaken.

The question asks for the "logical relationship":

(A) uses "support"

(C) uses "entails"

Definition for "entails": (Logic) have as a logically necessary consequence.

Smoking entails health risks (hence, smoking --> health risks)

What (C) says is that the general assertion --> the two specific assertions. In other words, the general assertion is sufficient for the two specific assertions. However, this arrangement reverses the supporting nature of the specific assertions.

The two specific assertions actually support, or are sufficient for, the general assertion made in the introduction. Thus the relationship is specific assertions (evidence) support the general assertion (conclusion). Or, as (A) notes, the logical relationship can be described as "a general assertion supported by two specific assertions."

ttunden
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ttunden Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:44 am

A can be more easily supported by the lines indicated in the Q stem. 8 -13 is a general statement and the other sets of lines indicated in the Q stem support that by bringing up more specific instances.

C was tempting. I did not know what entail means, it was too ambiguous for me during the test and the 5 minute minute warning was announced so I went with A which had more support and can be more easily inferred.

using context I assumed entails means, allowed or engrosses. So something like "leads too" or something. If you know how the passage is structured you can safely pick A. Makes more sense when you consider the passage and what the author is doing.