Q3

lhermary
Thanks Received: 10
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q3

by lhermary Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:23 pm

The text doesn't say the Mexican american writers tend to resist absorption by US culture, is says they work on forming a new identity. (47-50)

I went back and read this while answer the question and felt C wasn't accurate enough to be correct.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3808
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

Re: Q3

by ohthatpatrick Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:46 pm

The key words in the question stem are "Mexican American writers tend to value".

I would find a match for that in line 46 with their "overarching concern". And that leads into 47-50, which is where the correct answer to Q3 gets its evidence.

So you definitely found the right line reference; you just seem to be ignoring the first half of that sentence:

"Many Mexican American writers assert that rather than working to be absorbed into U.S. society, they are engaged in the process of creating a new identity."

From that sentence, don't we have pretty good support for the idea that they want "an identity that resists absorption by U.S. culture"?

I agree it's not saying 100% the same thing, but we're being asked to pick what can "most reasonably be inferred".

A) nothing in that last paragraph discusses "stylistic innovations", or trying to set themselves apart from other Mexicans.

B) nothing in that last paragraph talks about wanting the "U.S. literary establishment" to fall in love with them.

D) nothing in the last paragraph deals with "critical acceptance".

E) is loaded up with unsupported comparative / superlative terms. nothing in the last paragraph says they want to be MORE complex than MOST U.S. literature.

Let me know if you think we have more support for any of these other answers. Otherwise, good work finding the proof for (C).

obobob
Thanks Received: 1
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by obobob Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:17 pm

Hi when I was solving this Q, I was limiting the scope from paragraph 1 to paragraph 2. Can someone help me if there were any clue to approach paragraph 4 (47-50)?

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3808
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ohthatpatrick Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:43 pm

Was there some reason you were limiting yourself to P1 and P2?

I would have only known to ignore P3 on a first scan for support, since that was about Mexican writing, not Mexican-American, although even the last couple sentences there are obliquely giving some details on Mexican-American.

I don't think there's any clue we should look at P4 vs. P1 or P2. They all initially qualify and seem to offer some key details on Mexican-American writing.

But if you assign yourself the searching task of finding "many Mexican Americans" and/or "tend to value", then 45-50 seem like the strongest match, especially 47-50.