trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

Q9 - Market research traditionally entails

by WaltGrace1983 Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:58 pm

This is a strengthen question in which we are talking about a particular technique in market research, observational research. There isn't as much of an argument in this one as many other strengthen questions as we are really just concerned about strengthening the following claim:

"Observational research yields more information about consumer behavior than surveys alone..."

How could we strengthen this? Well perhaps we could think about, as I did, some of the following...
    - People are more likely to respond to observational research rather than traditional surveys* (although I do have a question about this)
    - People often answer dishonestly in surveys and thus observing them in the act of shopping can be a more accurate gauge of how they feel about products
    - There are aspects that can be tested via observational research, but not surveys

I am going into the answer choices with these thoughts in mind.

(A) This one looks really good! As we read, market research is all about evaluating "why consumers buy and use particular products." (A) is thus saying that - in a survey - some people cannot explain their preferences easily yet - during observational research - the consumers reveal what they are considering. They do this through the actual act of shopping. Thus, we are getting a comparison of the surveys and observation and we are seeing that observation gives us a little bit more insight, more information, into the minds of consumers. This one looks good.

(B) I have a question about this one. (B) says that consumers are "almost always willing" to participate in observational research. This seems okay too. However, it doesn't really show a comparison between surveys and observation and that is why I think it is not nearly as strong as (A). In addition, by knowing that consumers are very willing to be observed, does this mean more information? I don't really think so. If it said that consumers are "almost always willing" to do observational research yet "never willing" to do surveys I can see why this would be a better answer. However, (B) still looks appealing but it just doesn't feel "right" without that comparison. What do you guys think?

(C) This provides no evidence that one particular method - observational research - is any better than the other for providing information. So what if consumers are starting to do X when they used to do Y? Perhaps both types of research concludes that in the same way! Like (B), I think we should be really skeptical about this one because of the lack of comparison.

(D) Who cares how market researchers feel?! We want to know about the consumers they are researching. Eliminate.

(E) Tempting! However, observational research is actually not giving an oral survey. It is merely observing.

Jessica_x_1028
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Q9 - Market research traditionally entails

by Jessica_x_1028 Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:05 am

Answer b: "more consumers to participate in the research" is irrelevant to "information about consumer behavior". Eliminate.